Questions? Comments? Suggestions or Ideas? Contact me at:
cynspiration [at] gmail [dot] com

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Felt Playhouse-Castle Style

Hello! Back again, it seems harder to craft and then blog than I had anticipated. How do you find the time to get your crafting in? It seems particularly hard for me because the MR. has requested that I not do after hours crafting. (He is probably right considering I am GROUCHY if I stay up too late. Morning comes early with multiple wakings and kids.) At any rate, I am trying to do it with three kids running around all day and it isn't very effective! 

I also finished and shipped the second Bowser costume! Wow, it still took a lot of time, and I made some great hair this year so the costume was even improved a little! And then a breathed a sigh of relief and began tackling my owns kids costumes, way behind schedule. But they are coming along. 

*************

On to what you want to see! I posted a while back about a felt playhouse that was in the works. I joined a 1st birthday exchange and felt the need to make something great! (MR thinks I went overboard, but a little girls joy is SO worth it-right?)  So here are the pictures of the castle I made for a sweet little girl. The only thing I would change is I would have done the battlements differently. See how they won't stand straight? I double layered the felt and used pipe cleaners for some 'bones' in between the layers, but the stability I was looking for isn't there. Next time (if there ever is one) I would use a real strong interfacing-the kind used for hat brims- and put that in between the layers and I would not sew it onto the fort as shown here. I would put Velcro all the way around the playhouse and attach the battlements as a second piece.

Photobucket

Photobucket
The Ivy wall
Photobucket
With flowers (attached with Velcro)
Photobucket
The friendly dragon ( I copied a clip art image and had my Dad draw it to scale.)
Photobucket
Window Wall with shape matching on the bottom.
Photobucket
Crown, torches, and mail
Photobucket
Weather pieces so She can match the weather outside.
Photobucket
Notice how the 'Drawbridge" door stays connected at the bottom? I put small grommets into the door and the 'door frame' and then used a key ring to run through both layers giving the Drawbridge effect I was looking for.

So, what do you think? I got the original idea for a Felt Playhouse from Jill at Homemade by Jill.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Cyn, that is SO SO cool!! I love it! I may just have to make something like it for Samantha! Thanks for your comment, I edited my post haha :) And I have like a 70-80% chance of getting the rash thing (cholestasis) again. We'll see. I keep telling myself that it's a 20-30% chance of NOT getting it- that's like 1 in 3.. which is how many people get cancer, so I'm trying to stay optimistic!

Jenna and Drew said...

I love it! You did such a good job and it turned out super cute! Can't wait to see the costumes now!