Questions? Comments? Suggestions or Ideas? Contact me at:
cynspiration [at] gmail [dot] com

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

CHEF HAT!!

Remember yesterday when I showed you how to make an apron? Today we are learning to make the matching Chef Hat! I am so excited to see the boys in these, I think I am going to plan all sorts of meals for them to help me with.
CHEF HAT
Photobucket

You will need to measure your little guys head. J's head is 19" around. I am using elastic so I added three inches to the length. Cut one rectangle 22" by 6".

Start by making a circle pattern on freezer paper. I did mine by tracing a really big Tupperware lid and adding an inch all the way around-I was lucky I had a bowl big enough. I have also used two pens attached to a string to make a circle. Good Luck! 

Now the difficult part. The circumference of your circle (distance around the outside) should be the head size plus 3" (22). This is the math part-I apologize for this. 

To get the right circle size, first find the diameter (distance across) of your smaller circle. The formula is d=c/3.14. In my case,  d=22 / 3.14. d = 7.  I added my 8" for height. The diameter of the circle I need is 15"

I then drew my circle, folded it in half, and cut it in half along the fold.
Photobucket
Place your half circle on your fabric on the fold. I did not use the fold from the bolt, but made my own fold closer to the selvage edge. I did this to make the fabric more usable, and I didn't want a huge hole in the middle. 
Photobucket
Now you should have one large rectangle (pictured folded) and one large circle. 
Photobucket
For the band, fold your rectangle in half matching 6" sides, and sew with a half inch seam allowance. 
Photobucket
Press the seam open.
Photobucket
Fold the band in half, matching the seams and raw edges, with right sides out.
Photobucket
Pin 3" away on either side of the seam to make a casing for the elastic. ***NOTE: When sewing and pinning, only get the back side of your band-it should still open like a circle! The pins should secure the wrong sides of the back of the band.
Photobucket
1.5" up from the bottom edge, sew a line parallel to the bottom edge. You now have a casing for elastic. 
Photobucket
Cut a 3" piece of 1" elastic. Using a safety pin, thread your elastic through the casing. Stop when your elastic is pulled to the edge of the seam. 
Photobucket
Pin your elastic, and use a zigzag stitch to secure it down. Continue pulling the elastic through the casing, and secure it the same way.
Photobucket
It will gather nicely for you and should look like this.
Photobucket
Now get your circle and use a basting stitch to gather. To gather, run a very long stitch around the whole circle, DO NOT BACKSTITCH. 
Photobucket
Hold the top thread tightly and pull the bobbing thread, this will cause your fabric to gather. Push your gathers back and continue until your circle now has a gathered edge that is rougly 19" -or the circumference of your little guys head.
Photobucket
See what the gathers look like? The sides of the circle will now stand up.
Photobucket
Pin the circle inside the hat band matching raw edges. Sew together making sure to sew towards the inside of the hat from the gathered seam. This will ensure that your gather seam is hidden. I like to serge the edges here, if you don't have access to a serger, use a zig zag seam close to the raw edges to prevent fraying. 
Photobucket
Viola! A Chef Hat!
Photobucket
Doesn't it look great? I am in LOVE with these aprons and think I may have to whip one up for the MR! He needs to match too, and considering he enjoys cooking and I endure it, it sounds like a plan to me!

What do you think? Do you have apron and chef hat making in your fute

4 comments:

Beth Tunnell said...

Those are too awesome! Now you need to make a mommy size :)

Ashley said...

Love it! Your boys are going to be so crazy excited about those!!

Jenna and Drew said...

I'm not gonna lie, I kind of like the blue flames better! Great job on the outfits though, they both look awesome!

Anonymous said...

Those are great! You're going to have some awesome helpers in the kitchen. :-)